Saturday, November 12, 2011

Discussion 2 week November 6-12


The most difficult reasoning i didn’t understand is causal reasoning.Causal reasoning is the idea that any cause leads to a certain effect, and is an example of inductive reasoning.It is based around a process of elimination, with many scientific processes using this method as a valuable tool for evaluating potential hypotheses.Medical practitioners, as an example, will try to establish and deduce what is causing a certain symptom. By isolating and treating this cause, through eliminating others, the symptom can be alleviated. Causal reasoning may be used to direct scientific research and eliminate unlikely hypotheses for understanding certain phenomena.As an example, we are certain that global warming is happening but are unsure exactly what factors are contributing to the phenomenon. I learned about the five methods of causal reasoning: The method of agreement, the method of difference, the method of residue, agreement and difference, and concomicant variation.

1 comment:

  1. I was drawn into reading this blog post because I did the same topic as the one that I could not understand immediately as well and I am glad to see that I was not the only one in the class who struggled with this topic. And your train of understanding was much like mine as far as how we were both confused about casual reasoning as it relates to Cause and effect. Also, I had not been introduced to the five types of casual reasoning and thanks to your explanations, I feel that I have a fine grasp on the topic, thank you.

    ReplyDelete